- POPSI Postulate based permuted subject indexing is a pre- coordinate indexing system
- development by G. Bhattacharyya.
- It uses the analytic-synthetic method for string formulation and permutation of the constituent term in order different approach point to the document.
- POPSI does not depend on the class number. But is based on Ranganathan’s postulates and principles of general theory of classification.
- According to English Spanish Dictionary, Postulate based subject indexing system is an innovative verbal classification system based primarily on Ranganathan’s Postulate redefined in a lucid way by Bhattacharyya.
Postulate-based Permuted Subject Indexing (POPSI) is an indexing procedure helpful in:
1) Formulating subject headings;
2) Deriving subject index entries for a catalogue
3) Determining the subject of reader’s query in a
4) Formulating a strategy for searching information
5) Deriving a base for the presentation of ideas and index to a book. etc; consistent and helpful way about a subject in a catalogue or other surrogate filer in the text ) of a document and
6) Formulating subject representation for the preparation of coded input for the generation of thesaurus
Page Length: 13 Pages
- Table of POPSI
- Step of POPSI
- Preparation of the EOC
- Decision about TA
- Preparation of EAC