Name of Hand Note :- Braced and Unbraced Columns and Frames
Page Length :- 04
- Braced column is treated as braced in a specified plan when lateral strength of the structure as a whole is arranged with walls or bracing.
Unbraced column is treated unbraced in a specified plan when lateral strength of the structure as a whole is arranged with columns only.
- Braced columns can’t withstand lateral loads.
Unbraced columns can withstand lateral loads.
- In braced frames various lateral loads ranging from wind, earthquake, etc. can be countered with shear wall, bracings or special supports.
In unbraced frames lateral loads ranging from wind, earthquake etc. can be countered with columns.
- Sideways or joint translation can’t be done in braced columns.
Sideways or joint translation take place in unbraced columns.
- Braced columns contain zero value of sway.
Unbraced columns are dependent on sway.
- Braced columns are mainly used to design the steel structures.
Unbraced columns are mainly used to design the RCC structures.
- Braced columns have sufficient strength to withstand Earthquake.
Unbraced columns have less strength as compared to braced columns to withstand earthquake.
- To arrange gap among two braced columns is very complicated.
The gap can be easily arranged among two unbraced columns.
- Braced columns are suitable in tube structures where multistoried buildings are built up.
Unbraced columns are suitable in RCC framed structures where low storied buildings are built up.
- Structural system with bracing are frequently utilized in vital/special structures.
Structural systems not containing bracing are frequently utilized in general structures.
There are no reviews yet.